Sunday, November 21, 2010

Praying BIG!

I was asked several weeks ago if I would do the children's sermon at church. I enthusiastically said yes....and then I proceded to forget completely about it until last night...12 hours before said sermon.
Thankfully, I have built some one-on-one time with God into each Sunday morning. Although I am free to sub in Sunday school classes during that time, most weeks, it has enabled me to do my Bible study or simply read the Bible. (I am attempting to read it cover to cover for the first time in my life...currently I am in the book of Numbers.)
So, as I sat there listening to the choir practice for the upcoming service, I prayed. I prayed that God would give me the words that our children (and grown-ups) needed to hear today.
The verse was Ephesians 3:20-21,
"God's power is so vast that we can't even imagine the extent of what He can do. When we bring our requests to Him, we can be confident that absolutely nothing is beyond His ability to do."
What a verse! As I sat there just asking him to give me the words, He was saying something like, "Seriously, you just want a 2 minute children's sermon? Pray bigger. I can do so much more than you could ever imagine!"
I laughed, and then I prayed bigger. I prayed to open the hearts of our congregation. I prayed for peace to overcome the earth. I prayed that my life, my public life and my private life, my role as a wife, as a mother, as a friend, and as a disciple would be pleasing to God at each and every moment. I prayed for my husband and I to feel God's grace, be filled with His patience, and to remember that it is His will, not ours!
The service started, the praise songs spoke right to my heart, I felt the presence of the Holy Spirit, and wouldn't you know it, the words came. The children's sermon about praying big prayers, was great. It helped that I had tied Smarties in, so each child got to take candy back to their pews, but, I believe, that even without the candy, God spoke loud and clear today.
For that, I am so thankful.

1 comment:

  1. Yes Cara!!! God can do so much more than we can ever imagine!.....If we just leave our hearts open to God, the possibilities are endless....It is my daily prayer that all may be healed by Jesus and compassionized by Mary to be fully open to God to receive His infinite blessings and that we all will come to truly understand the words,"Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do". Your family is so lucky to have you!!! Take Care...Gilda!

    ReplyDelete