Friday, December 17, 2010

Honesty

I had this great idea to interview the kids and see what adoption means to them and what they think about our adoption process so far. I dreamt that we would have a sweet memento of this time in our lives and how the kids felt in their hearts.
Well, they each told me how they felt, and I am sure you can guess where this is going.
After interviewing each of the kids, I am not even sure we can look at these videos again until everyone is old enough and secure enough to laugh about it.
In my mind it I thought I'd hear them say things like "fun", "lots of love", "caring for kids who need us", etc. What I heard were "annoying", "crazy", "weird" and "bad". Oh, well. At least they are comfortable enough to be honest.
When I asked Halie what adoption means, she said, "Baby Jesus". Miss Kelley would be proud...she already knows the correct answer to every question in church! ;)
When I was talking to her about being adopted and becoming a McMorris, she said laughing and with a huge grin, "No, I don't want to be a McMorris! I don't want to live with you. I want Grandma Nancy to adopt me." Remember that post I wrote about needing thick skin to do this job of parenting...

Day to day the kids are happy and enjoy each other most of the time. Dave and I are amazed really at the progress that has been made in the 4 months that they have been with us. (And Jasmine came a month later than the other two, so for her it's only been 3 months.)

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. u r doing such a good job!!! proud of u.♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you have all sorts of silver lining with their honesty but one other to remember is if we were interviewed as 5, 6 or 7 year olds about how we liked having three other siblings I highly doubt "fun" or "lots of love" would have been in the top 10. By that I mean, they are all siblings, pretty simply, and that is a remarkably awesome thing to be.
    I think you have a better memento than you think. They will love seeing how bothered they were by one another when they do not see eachother other than holidays and special occassions.
    love and hugs

    ReplyDelete