Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Random Thoughts by Dave....But Then Again, Aren't They All Random?!?! :)

As I do not have Cara's writing abilities, I will just share some random thoughts I've been thinking about.

Relationships, relationships, relationships....that has been the theme of all that we have heard since we arrived here. At our weekly "staff meetings" Jason and Kari have been inviting guest speakers, other missionaries, to share what they have learned since they have been here. The speakers have really given us SO much insight!  It has been so helpful to hear the highs and lows of these amazing people who have truly listened to God's call here in Africa.  They have been here between 3 and 10 years and still feel that they are learning every day...they still haven't figured it out yet!
The one thing that remains constant in all of the messages shared though has been that relationships have got to be the #1 reason for being here!  A desire to be in relationship needs to come before any program or idea that we "westerners" may have.
We have developed many great relationships since we arrived 2+ months ago.  A lot of the friendships are with Ugandans....obviously, no surprise.  It has been life-giving to our family as we pour into the people here....also, it will come as no surprise to you that we get poured into by the people here tenfold!
We knew coming here that God was up to something in the life of our family, and we are soaking up what we can each day knowing that He is growing us and preparing us. For this year,  I know we are here to support the Segners and fill in for them working with Healing Faith while they are gone on furlough.  But beyond that, I am excited to see what God will do in our lives. That's the way God can work....you think you are here for one reason and BAM....you find out He had even bigger plans.....plans we may not find out even during the year we are here!  I think we are getting a little bit better at the being patient while God nudges and pushes us where He is calling us.....sadly, I can quote Aerosmith in saying, "Life's a trip, not a destination!"  We are enjoying the trip!
One of the funny things I think about every so often as I reflect on the journey God has been guiding for our family.....we have been becoming more and more "crazy" for God and His plan!  I am thinking right now, "O.K., God, Africa it is....you have called us...we listened...here we are!"  What is next?  When I list everything God has done for us the past few years, it seems like we are at the pinnacle....the road has been lifting us up further and further.....I mean, Africa seems to be one of those pinnacle moments.....but I think we have more to do?!?! There is no pinnacle here on earth when you are following Jesus, the more you are faithful in, the more He calls you to.
.....here are those random thoughts that I have to share....

  • It took this guy going to Africa to actually start exercising on a regular basis....I've been running 4 miles (oops, I'm Ugandan for a year...6.5 kilometers) 5 days a week now.  Feeling really good....I run with my good friend, David (our day askari) on Saturdays.....although I think he is secretly training me for the Ugandan Olympic Marathon team...he is so hard on me!!  In a good way...tough coach!!  :)  I have lost over 20 pounds since being here.
  • Life here is becoming so normal, which is great, but I am forgetting to appreciate the differences here....I am looking forward to one of our friends visiting this fall if he is able so I can see Uganda through new eyes again!  If God does not call us to move here, my greatest fear would be forgetting the day-to-day life that is so incredibly awesome!!
  • Mara is engaged now, so we will for sure be coming back home next May. There are days that I can't imagine going back to America....and there are days that I feel we are supposed to go back, but that this won't be our last time in Uganda....we'll see what God does in the next 9+ months.  I do know there will be many more changes in our lives when we go back.
  • It is so funny to be looked at as such a delicate person. Some Ugandans believe that our skin is more gentle and can be harmed more easily than theirs.   I purchased 20 kilos of posho for our three guard dogs.  I told the men I could carry the bag over my shoulder.  They all laughed at me....I had three people try to take it from me as I was carrying it to the van.  I was also laughed at as I carried two large water jugs to the van.  I do some of the slashing (hand mowing w/ a long metal tool) because I want a workout for my arms....no weights here to lift!  David asked me to not be too good or else he might lose his job!
  • Watching our kids play together has been awesome!  Getting rid of cable, putting away the DS's, and limiting them on computers was one of the best decisions we ever made.  They were SO ready for Africa in so many ways. We do watch a movie together as a family on Friday and Saturday nights.  They have become the most creative kids I know....I mean, they were very creative before....but WHOA!
  • The weather here is much different than I thought.  I thought it would be so hot!!  Being 2 blocks away from Lake Victoria  makes the nights much cooler.  I bet we rarely hit 80 degrees here so far.  And the second rainy season has not hit yet!  I will miss fall back in Illinois..I will miss the leaves changing and falling.  I know I will not miss winter at all.  But I will miss that first snowfall.  The months of freezing cold temperatures...not so much!!
  • No recycling here bothers much more than I thought it would.  Smelling burning plastic is NOT the sweet aroma of Uganda I was envisioning!  They are recycling in South Africa, I have heard.  I hope that catches on in all of Africa.
  • I am learning to say, "No" more often.  That is probably one of the hardest things I need to learn here.  I wear my heart on my sleeve. I am very aware of this!!  Not the best quality to have while living in Uganda. I understand that giving handouts can actually hurt people in the long run, but when the parking ticket guy asks you for a Bible...it's not that easy to say, "No".  Remember, Dave...relationships...not handouts!!!!  Not easy!!
  • We love "House Church"!  Many missionary families coming together for worship, children's message, diving deep into our bible lesson, dinner, and fellowship.  We actually hosted last week.  There are so many kids...35 last Sunday!!  Our house and yard were so full.  The families are wonderful....such a blessing to our family!
  • We had our "official" first date night last Friday night since we left the house.  I consider every night after the kids go to bed a "date night" since Cara and I can talk for hours.  But we went o get massages and go out for pizza.  The massages were awesome....60 minutes for 25,000 shillings apiece ($10 for each).
  • I'm afraid I have forgotten what a real shower feels like.  Our shower would probably be described as a trickle+.
  • I must be too old to learn a new language.  My kids and Cara are learning a lot of Luganda.  Halie will walk up to anyone and greet them or talk to them!  It is taking me MUCH longer to learn.

1 comment:

  1. It is so fun to read about your experiences. Thank you for sharing with us the many ways you (as a family) are fulfilling God's call in your lives.

    ReplyDelete